Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Head For Backstage

Tour Manager Doug and Umlaut have been friends since before the dawn of Christianity. He roams the Earth enabling Rock Stars to be Rock Stars. Umlaut lives vicariously through his Lock 'N Loll lifestyle and wants to write Doug's memoirs.

Tonight, on a very special episode of Umlaut, Doug recalls sneaking backstage to meet a band in his youth... and then struggles to make the right decision when confronted with the same situation in his 2005 Rock Star World:


"Black Sabbath - Cow Palace, S.F. - January 25, 1984. I was in line when the limos pulled around the back of the building. I walked behind the building and went inside. There were 4 or 5 doors where the limos were parked. I opened one at random. There was a staircase that I walked up. At the top of the stairs was a hallway that I walked down. I passed a few empty rooms and then came to a room where Tony Iommi, Ian Gillan and another guy were making sandwiches from a deli tray. I had Tony and Ian sign my ticket. They offered me a sandwich, which I declined. Then I returned to the line out front. On my way back I realized that "the other guy" was Geezer Butler. Doh! I bought a new ticket when I got back to the front."

In an ironic twist, 20+ years later Doug was confronted with the same situation.. Only this time he was the keeper of the sacred concert backstage who held the fate of a band fan in his hand.. What would he do??? What would YOU do?? His decision is an inspiration to all of us:

"A kid snuck backstage the other day. He had a total "deer in the headlights" look on his face. Lucky for him I was standing there instead of one the security guys. He still didn't meet the band, but he got to be backstage and met a couple of genuine roadies. He was all excited when I introduced him to the pyro guy.. "Whoa, dude, you blow stuff up? Wow.""

Amen and Hallelujah.

What you gonna be, what you gonna be brother? Zero The Hero...