Sunday, March 15, 2009

Greensleeves

I didn't know Art Abuse, but I knew who he was.. Art was the head of security for The Fillmore and The Warfield for years and was also a presence at all of the big concerts during the golden years of the Bill Graham Presents (BGP) era of Bay Area Rock.

Umlaut started going to concerts in the late-70's around the S.F. Bay Area and over the years and hundreds (and hundreds.. and hundreds..) of shows I came to recognize some BGP staffers.. They became part of all those shows for me from seeing them at all those venues; I never knew his name, but Art was one of those BGP Bluecoats who I saw at seemingly every concert I attended.

Rest In Peace Art Abuse. There will be a memorial concert for him on March 23rd at the Great American Music Hall featuring Steve Earle.


Thanks to Lauraloha for passing this along. Cue 'Greensleeves'.

For the newbies: Bill Graham would play 'Greensleeves' as the houselights came up at shows to let the crowds know the show was officially over.