Tuesday, September 07, 2004

1-2-3-4



Circa 1977-78 I saw a local t.v. news report about this thing called "Punk Rock".. My friend and I thought it was funny and we wrote our own "Punk Rock" song lyrics. However, KISS and Star Wars were the only things I seriously cared about at that point in my life. I associated "rebellion" with X-Wing fighters.

A year later one of my best friends in high school was a guy named Monty. He introduced me to the Ramones. Monty had a Johnny Ramone haircut. "It's the end, the end of the 70's..." I haven't seen Monty in at least 15 years.

I'm man enough to admit that I got misty eyed a couple of times during this film.. Genuine emotions about a band... Hmmm. Tis something I didn't feel in any way, shape, or form during Some Kind Of Monster.


1980's Tour Button (from the Umlaut Archives)

For some reason, I imagined that most of the people in the theater were with someone who had attended a Ramones concert with them.. It was true for me (Hey Ho to Jayne!). Afterwards my entourage and I shared our Ramones memories all the way back home (Hey Ho also to Kim and Chris!).

On a certain level the film made me feel old... But at the same time it made me feel fortunate to have seen the Ramones as many times as I did. It also reminded me that I took the band for granted in their later years and opted not to see them several times. Regrets, I've had a few...


Johnny's Guitar Pic (from the Umlaut Archives)

"4-5-6-7 all good cretins go to Heaven.."

***** *****

BONUS Random Rock Star Moment #13: The Ramones

From Umlaut friend Kathy G.:

"The first time I went to Berlin, January 1990, I was on the same plane with the Ramones coming home. Never did get the nerve up to go talk to them..."

***** *****

And this excellent Ramones Memory from Lori Acid King:
"I saw the Ramones in the late 70's at an indoor amusement park in Bollingbrook, IL called Old Chicago. It was the Disco Era and they had a dance contest with the light up floor and the whole 9 yards. After the Ramones played people were riding the indoor roller coaster screaming "Hey Ho! Let's Go!!" and Punk Rockers signed up for the Disco dance contest and pogo'ed on the dance floor next to the spandexers. Pretty funny now that I think about it!"