Friday, September 17, 2004

48 Hours

The Black Rider -
The Geary Theater, S.F. - Sept. 15, 2004


Yes, I've been obsessed with the collected works of Tom Waits at certain points in my life. Yes, I was involved in stalking him at a 1992 charity event (Hi Kat!). Yes, I've read Burroughs and been enamored with The Beats. Yes, call me a peasant, but a lot of modern art / theater just doesn't do it for me. THEATAH! ACTING! In the words of David St. Hubbins: "It's such a fine line between clever and stupid." While some of the staging and costumes were enchanting, other parts were so "Dieter, touch my monkey!" However, hearing Marianne Faithfull sing Waits was a treat. But to tell you the truth, I got the biggest charge when I saw Terry Edwards listed in the program as a member of the band in the orchestra pit. I was really into his band Gallon Drunk.. I had no idea he was in the production! Beer count = zero. Motorhead shirts = 1. On the way back to the car, some pimply-faced homeless teenagers called us fags. The crowd was a nice mix of hipsters, punks, and old S.F. money... I would like to have heard each demographics response to the production: "Brilliant!" "Sublime!" "Where's the bar?" "Huh?"


Tom Waits - New Year's Eve 1990-91 Souvenir Button
(from the Umlaut Archives)


Overnight Johnny Ramone died.

The next day I wore my Ramones shirt 'cause I'm a geek. While running errands, 2 people commented on it and Johnny's passing. "Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you, one of us.."

Supersuckers -
Cafe Du Nord, S.F. - Sept. 16, 2004

I've been following this band "forever" and admit to taking them for granted in recent years. But when they launched into 'Poor' it was 1991 all over again for me (in a good way). Ramones shirts = 5 (6 if you counted mine). Cheers to Capt. Kirk for the roadie seating during the show. Geeks shall inherit the Earth! Fightin' drunks manhandled out the door = 2. Beer count = 1. On the way back to the car, some pimply-faced teenagers called me a fag. Onstage Eddie Spaghetti probably had the best eulogy for Johnny Ramone: "I was saddened by Johnny's passing... but it IS one less vote for Bush." That kinda talk will send you to Hell. I like it.