Thursday, February 24, 2005

Once In A Lifetime During Wartime

David Byrne - The Fillmore, S.F. - Feb. 23, 2005

At around 6:30pm the phone rang. Beloved Umlaut friend Hayne had a +1 to David Byrne at The Fillmore. There was a time when Hayne and Umlaut would go across town to see Alice Donut or Green Day in a shithole club. There was a time when I'd be on tour with Neurosis in Tijuana, Mexico and Hayne would be hanging out with Jello Biafra in the East Bay. Hayne and Umlaut have known each other for over 20 years so any chance to hang out needs to be taken advantage of whenever possible.

I'd be lying if I said that I've never listened to the Talking Heads at some point in my music geek life.. Especially since there are a couple of their albums over there on my shelves of vinyl. However, Umlaut had quite an epiphany while watching Byrne and his band onstage and realizing it just wasn't his thing. Now, that is not in any way a knock on Byrne. To remind y'all of what Satchmo once said: "There's only two types of music, good and bad." Byrne has good songs and is a genuine performer / musician. His music just isn't Umlaut's thing. Also, it had been a LONG time since I was at a show where people stood out front holding up their "I Need A Miracle" finger and girls twirled to the music.


Use the above image to create a counterfeit backstage pass and use it to get into a Green Day show.

However, the evening allowed Umlaut to cross one more item off his "Things To Do Before I Die" List. Namely watching a gig sitting at the rail of the VIP balcony overlooking stage right at the legendary Fillmore. Since I was detached from the music I was able to soak up the VIP Fillmore experience to the fullest. Man, this is where Janis Joplin probably puked! Wow, I bet Jerry hurled on this spot too! Jimi probably passed out there and drooled on himself!

Thanks to Hayne and Tour Manager Kristin for passage into this All Access Pass world. On the way back to the car a rat that scurried across the sidewalk called me a fag. Umlaut thought he'd be sly and sneak out a back door, but instead accidently wandered into the band's Dressing Room. Ooops. I had to ask myself "How did I get here?"