Sunday, February 20, 2005

Totally Gobsmacked

Holy crap.... This album is amazing..



The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

===
ADDENDUM:

Damn.. 11 years ago I stumbled onto a CD by a Cajun rocker guy named C.C. Adcock. I LOVED IT! I geeked over his guitar tone.. Duane Eddy / Link Wray / Stevie Ray Vaughn soaked in Cayenne and Abita Beer... However, in those pre-Internet days I couldn't find a lot of info on the guy. All I learned was that he was a 20-year old swamp prodigy from Louisiana. I think I maybe read one article on him in an issue of No Depression.. but then nothing. Eventually I forgot about him.

For the music geeks: The CD's aesthetic includes the sound of a needle hitting vinyl at the beginning and the sound of the needle picking up at the end of the last song. It originally came out on Island Records in 1994. It went out of print, then was rereleased in 2000 on a U.K. label called Evangeline.


The 1994 debut album...

While doing a random Internet search today I stumbled upon the "news" that Adcock released a new CD late last year.. His first since that 1994 debut! DAMN.

I gotta look into this new CD further.. However, I threw on that 1994 CD for the first time in literally years while typing this. It still rocks in that mellow N'awlins beer drinkin' way. One of those albums that reminds me how much crappy music there is out there.. and how many soulless people there are out there listening to it.

It ain't often that you rediscover a forgotten band / musician like this.. so I thought I'd pass it along. The men don't know, but the music geeks understand.

===
ADDENDUM 2:

It's turned into an unusually music geekish day for Umlaut: After a delicious falafel and beer in The Mission I picked up the latest Mastodon CD at delightfully indie Aquarius Records.



Yeah, I'm only 6 months late with this album, but that's the way it goes.. And, yeah, they opened for Slayer last December but I arrived late and missed them... That's the way it goes.

As ominous grey rain clouds close in over my neighborhood and the skies darken, the Mighty Furry Elephant of ROCK has taken over my stereo.

For the music geeks: Scott of Neurosis provides vocals on a song. Now that I think 'bout it, Mastodon sorta reminds me of 'Souls At Zero' era Neurosis.. sans Von Till's dreads of course.

Like a mighty beast perfectly preserved in ice for a million years, this CD is what we would have called "HEAVY" back in The Day. One of those albums that reminds me how much crappy music there is out there.. and how many soulless people there are out there listening to it.

Me wricky rots.

===
ADDENDUM 3:

It's storming outside and I'm throwing things on the stereo to entertain myself. My own personal D.J... someone who hears my prayers.. someone who cares.

After interacting with so much cool new music today I have to admit that none of it blows my mind like Townshend's guitar tone in 'We're Not Gonna Take It / See Me Feel Me' from the Deluxe Edition of The Who's 'Live At Leeds'. I've listened to it dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times and it still blows me away.



GODDAM... The Who in their 1970 prime.. Pete's guitar is so fucking CLEAN and RAW and REAL. Listen to it LOUD with a candle lit and you will see your future. Recently I listened to it in the middle of the night at 40,000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean and achieved the same thing. That Who performance in my ears and the only thing cutting the blackness outside the window were the small flashing lights on the 777's wing.

One of those things that reminds me how much crappy music there is out there.. and how many soulless people there are out there listening to it.



"From you I get opinions...From you I get the story..."

===
ADDENDUM 4!

Then I learned that Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide tonight.

Is that a trippy / appropriate epilogue to my day or what?!