Sunday, July 31, 2005

The King

Slough Feg / Acid King / Floating Goat - Bottom of the Hill, S.F. - July 30, 2005

It's been awhile since I drank a PBR at a show featuring a 100% local bill. It's difficult for Umlaut to write about Acid King since 2/3 of the band are like family. I've had more beers, barbecues, and guacamole with Acid King than I have with any other band... and their shows are such friend magnets that they're more social events than gigs for me. Awww.

Over the past 12 years I've seen AK everywhere from S.F. warehouses to the legendary stage of The Troubadour in L.A... and watched them share the bill with the likes of Fear, Sleep, Corrosion of Conformity, The Obsessed, the Melvins, and Fu Manchu.. but I'm not exaggerating when I say that tonight was THE BEST wall of sound I've ever experienced them throw into my face. They were completely dialed into whatever Satanic magic they channel. I am not kidding.


I Was A Teenage Acid King Roadie - From Umlaut #10 (Fall 1994)
[click on each image for PDF file]


Get this: Two German Acid King fans were vacationing in the States and found out they were playing. The dudes drove from The Badlands (SOUTH DAKOTA) to San Francisco in order to see the show. I hope they at least got free t-shirts or had Lori sign their chests.

Slough Feg have been around S.F. forever... 13 years ago Umlaut was a xeroxed fanzine... The guy who played bass for Slough Feg at the time was manager at a now-defunct comic store on Haight St.. The guy was also a BIG Umlaut supporter and always featured it in the store's Zine section. That was a long time ago... Now Umlaut is "elektronik" and I can't remember that guy's name, but Slough Feg are still around. If they had been around 20 years ago they'd be packing 'em in at The Stone. Feg Maiden.

Best Quote:
Dave to Umlaut - "You have the best shirt of anyone here..." (Iron Maiden > Powerslave)

Venom shirts = 1. If you had bought one of every Acid King merch item you would have spent around $40. On the way back to the car, some pimply-faced teenagers called me a fag. To get home from Bottom of the Hill, all Umlaut has to do is go RIGHT > LEFT > RIGHT > DRIVE > MERGE > DRIVE > RIGHT > LEFT > RIGHT > RIGHT > RIGHT > PARK.