Saturday, December 03, 2005

Cash

Umlaut climbed into his attic and found several boxes that had been sealed for probably 9 years. Inside he rediscovered many memories, which will be shared in this space in the weeks (or months) to come.



One of my favorite concerts ever.

Cash was playing The Fillmore two days after Santa Rosa, but I didn't want to deal with the madhouse of a general admission show when this show was reserved seating. So Skychick and I made the drive up to Santa Rosa from S.F.. I think we ate at a Thai restaurant before the gig.

This was before the Luther Burbank Center was remodeled and the seating was still the pews from the days when the building was a church. We had 2nd Row seats and the women sitting in front of us were Old School Cash fans. They were all older white women wearing their Johnny Cash Fan Club buttons. Some were missing teeth.

"Hello...I'm Johnny Cash..."

It was surreal to be watching one of my heroes from so close. It was intimidating in a way (if that makes sense). It's always weird when you see someone in person who you've only seen in pictures or on t.v. all your life, especially someone you admire.

Truth be told, June's set was too rambling, but she did tell some sweet stories. Such as one about meeting and hanging out with a nice young man in New York City in the early-50's. That nice young man's name was Elvis Presley (DOH!). Skychick said that June reminded her of her late grandmother in Alabama.


Cash Pick (From the Umlaut Archives)

Of all the hundreds of concerts I've attended, I'm probably the most thankful for attending this one. Cash's harmonica playing during Orange Blossom Special was jaw dropping. It was still 8 years or so before that final heartbreaking image of him in the Hurt video, but on this night he was immortal. I still have the shirt that I bought at the merch table that night and I wore it the day Cash passed away. I suppose I should see Walk The Line.

"When I was arrested I was dressed in black... They put me on a train and they took me back..."