Friday, October 26, 2007

Back To The Future... Again

Umlaut recently got back in touch with Hans, an Old Metal Brutha, via the wonder of the Information Superhighway. We haven't been in touch in over 20 years.. Amazing, right? Anyway, I couldn't remember how we had met, but Hans refreshed my memory. What follows encapsulates everything that was special and awesome about the early-80's underground Metal Scene...

You and I met through Lars (Ulrich) I think...Lars was writing to me and sending me music and somewhere along the lines I believe he introduced us via phone...

My dates are all off, but I was at Shades Records in London and heard someone talking to Dave Constable and Mike Shannon in an American accent! That was Sam (Kress)! We hung out and I introduced him to John Kibble (who helped Ole Bang with the fan club stuff for Mercyful Fate), and to my old friend Geoff Gillespie, who introduced him to some of the people he "interviewed" while in London...

Sam turned me on to the Exodus stuff, and I had just started a small record label called Torrid Records with some "friends" from High School. I got us distribution through Important Records, the early incarnation of Relativity/R.E.D., because Barry Kobrin shopped in the record store I worked at and liked me (I turned him on to Talas....and later Helstar)....

Anyway, I ran into immigration issues and my "friends" just had me sign my shares of the label over to them, and the rest is what it is....

Wow, that was a lifetime ago....


Indeed.. a lifetime ago... or two! It was a time when people who went on to become millionaire Rock Stars called you on the phone... and one of the most influential Metal albums of all time was released by high school "friends".

Fast forward to the 21st Century and things from those days have come back around to be relevant in my world again. There's not a day that goes by where I don't trip on that.

For old time's sake, as I'm typing this I'm listening to Holocaust's classic 1983 live album Live (Hot Curry & Wine), which not only still ROCKS but also has one of my all-time favorite album titles. Hey! Metalheads like good food too, dontchaknow!

Holocaust: Probably the best Metal band from Scotland, mate. Top notch!

"Lovin' feelin' danger..."