Sunday, May 30, 2010

10 Years Ago

Does anybody remember laught... uhhh.... Napster?


Click HERE to read a piece that Umlaut wrote for Salon.com a decade ago about Metallica vs. Napster. Umlaut's Old Metal friend Ian worked for Salon at the time and asked me to write something about the controversy... Plus, it was a paid writing assignment as well. Nice.

After it was posted the editor at Salon called to tell me that Metallica's management wanted to talk to me about what I'd written. Intriguing, right? I gave Salon permission to give Metallica's office my phone number and I soon received a call from band co-manager Cliff Burnstein. Long story short, I ended up talking with Burnstein for awhile and he had no idea about my history with Metallica. In the end he said how he appreciated what I'd written because, unlike the vast majority of the press coming out about Metallica vs. Napster, it was a balanced article. I thought it was pretty cool of him take the time out of his busy schedule to call and tell me that.

Anyway, that was 10 years ago...