Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mean Street

Umlaut returned to the neighborhood in the 408 where he grew up this weekend and took a walk around the old block. During the walk I noticed this vintage piece of sidewalk graffiti that I had NEVER noticed before:

"Van Halen Rules"

This ancient etching is only a block from the house where I grew up and it must date from the 80's because what kid after that time would feel so passionately about Van Halen to scrawl it in wet cement?? I wish I could take credit for this but I cannot... It's so bizarre that I've never seen this before.. actually it's eerie. In the time before I discovered Iron Maiden, Umlaut worshiped Van Halen and I saw them twice in 1980 and 1981...


'Unchained' filmed at Oakland Coliseum Arena - June 1981

TEN DOLLARS
(From the Umlaut Archives)

Anyway, Van Halen hasn't been one of my favorite bands since the Fair Warning (1981) album. Meanwhile, back in the 21st Century... "This is home... This is Mean Street..."