Thursday, March 29, 2012

Face The Slayer

Umlaut has a lot of crap in boxes... like this from late in 1983. It's part of an unpublished Slayer interview that I did with Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman for my old fanzine Whiplash. It was done before their first album Show No Mercy was released; Brian Slagel had sent me an advance tape of the album and I loved it. I was 19 years old.


[click for larger image]

Trivia: The interview was done at least 2 or 3 months before Slayer had even played in The Bay Area for the first time.

"We want out of L.A. now."

- Kerry King - 1983.

For such a short piece it's chock full of fun facts that will upset the revisionist history view of the Old Metal Days for a lot of people. Such as:

"Band influences are Venom, Mercyful Fate, and Metallica.
That's it because that's about all we listen to."
- Jeff Hanneman - 1983

"I think it's kind of obvious that we like Venom and Metallica."
- Kerry King - 1983

Hilarious, right? Anyway... now back to the 21st Century.