Monday, April 04, 2005

The Price Of Being A Geek

According to Douglas Adams the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. Along those lines, I think I've discovered the price of being a Geek. That price would be $24.98 (list price).



Nick Cave just released a 3CD collection of 56 previously "hard to find" songs from b-sides, movie soundtracks, etc. etc.... These are 56 songs that I spent 17 years hunting and collecting. Close to half of that searching was done in the pre-Internet days of trolling record shops and the pages of Goldmine magazine. Now any "fan" can simply waltz into their local Best Buy and get all of these songs without breaking a sweat. They'll even get the song that was previously only available on an ultra rare 1992 French promo CD.. A CD I spent a couple of months hunting down in the Dark Ages before the Internet using something called "pen and paper". Fuck me.


The damn French promo...

The Geeks shall inherit the Earth, but Peggy Lee nailed it when she crooned "And when it was all over I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a fire?"

I briefly wondered what it would be like if I were a lobotomized Billy Joel fan... Then I remembered that I have a 1st pressing copy of the 1982 Tuff Monks 7".. A one-off single Cave recorded with members of the Go-Betweens when he was still fronting The Birthday Party... and I felt better.

Geek out.