Thursday, May 19, 2005

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

To commemorate the release of the final installment of the Star Wars series, Umlaut would like to share his Star Wars memories.

Star Wars changed Umlaut's life, both as a kid and later as an adult. As a kid I saw Star Wars 3 times during that Summer of '77 and later cut school to see the sequels on opening day. As an adult Star Wars was a profound lesson in "Be careful what you wish for..."

A New Hope:



Revenge Of The Sith:




For the most part, Umlaut's time on The Death Star was a positive, if surreal, experience. How many millions of humans would sell their souls to work at Skywalker Ranch? I used to say that something happened every week that made me feel like a kid again, such as standing next to The Chairman at a company function while getting Brie from a snack table. One of my eternal regrets is not having the balls to turn to him and say "WOW!! This is some great Brie!!".

Truth be told, I drank a shitload of Jedi Kool-Aid. The adult in me bought into the corporate myth of the Jedi and got burned. The kid in me was kicked in the stomach by Yoda. "The End" completely blindsided me and was crushing. However, it also led me to a better place, both literally and figuratively. In hindsight, I also realized I lost sight of who I really was when I was on The Death Star... My Music Geek side was overshadowed by The Dark Side. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

"The Force will be with you... always." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Your words are poison.." - Eowyn