Thursday, July 21, 2005

Kings Of Leon


Kings Of Leon / Secret Machines - The Fillmore, S.F. - July 20, 2005

I haven't been able to make up my mind about Secret Machines eventhough I've had their album since its release and saw them last year. Well, I'm happy to report that they finally lost me at The Fillmore. Blinding stage lights aren't a substitute for songs that are the equivalent of melatonin. During their set I daydreamed... Which generally isn't a good sign for a band.

I had a vivid flashback to a 1988 Red Hot Chili Peppers Fillmore show that I attended with 4 other people. At one point, Hillel stood at the front of the stage and let people spit on him. Out of the 5 of us, 4 came out injured, 1 of whom was knocked out cold by a stage diver kicking her in the face. Luckily, the only person left unscathed was the guy who drove. Good times.

Kings Of Leon are one of those bands that a jaded Music Geek like me can easily be jaded about. They play "the right" guitars, "the right" amps, "the right" drum kit. They have "the right" back story, "the right" look, and they use "the right" amount of cowbell in their songs. They also have "the right" sound. Whenever I listen to them a voice in my head says "Hmm, this is the best song The Strokes never wrote.." or "Hmm, this is the best song the Allman Bros. never wrote.." or "Hmm, this is the best song Interpol never wrote.."

That being said, Umlaut's iPod won't stop playing Kings right now.. I guess I don't have the energy to rationalize why I shouldn't like them.. It's easier to admit that I like 'em and move on. Besides, I have more important things to do right now..

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Kings bassist has been in a Metal cover band. He banged his head like he was playing "Electric Eye" during the fast songs.. It went along with the older guy standing in front of us who proclaimed "I AM SO STONED!" and banged his head and played air guitar like he was listening to "Living After Midnight".. However, he DID know the words to every song so I guess it's better that he's a Kings fan and not just another drunken Jimmy Buffet follower.

Thanks to The Sheriff for the leg-up and to Hanes Beefy-T for the golden ticket... Although, since it was an "After Show" it was more like a gold-plated tic... but that's merely semantics, innit? However, Umlaut must admit it was not redeemed. Hey! It was a school night and I wasn't in the mood to be a Band-Aid anyway. Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

If you had bought one of every Kings merch item you would have spent around $400 (I think...). On the way back to the car, some pimply-faced teenagers called us fags. While waiting for a stoplight in The Tenderloin, a pair of homeless-type guys wearing trench coats sans pants crossed the street in front of us. One dude was also wearing slippers and carried a briefcase. His companion carried a wooden cabinet door. Sometimes it's best to just let things go and not question them.