Sunday, March 19, 2006

24 Years Ago Today

On this date in 1982, Randy Rhoads died in that bizarre plane > bus > house crash in Florida. Here in the 21st Century, that event doesn't seem as important to me... but back when it happened I was 18 and it was shocking... I had a baby's brain and an old man's heart.

For those who don't know the story, it's a classic Lock 'N Loll Death! From Wikipedia:

On March 19, 1982, the band was headed to a festival headlined by Foreigner in Orlando, Florida, when they stopped at the bus driver's house in Leesburg, Florida. The driver (Andrew Aycock) was also a licensed pilot. Andrew Aycock, Randy Rhoads and hairdresser Rachel Youngblood climbed into a plane and took off. Apparently, Aycock tried to make a mock divebomb at the bus but the plane clipped the bus and went flying into a house. Rhoads, age 25, was killed instantly. Aycock, 36, and Youngblood, 58, were also killed. It was found later that Aycock had an expired flying license and had cocaine in his system.

When I heard the news on the local Rock radio station I called Rich Hellhound and told him to sit down (so dramatic!) and broke the news to him. We were stunned... and I haven't bought an Ozzy album or seen him perform solo ever since. Randy's gone, man... Randy's gone.

Ozzy with Randy Rhoads - Cow Palace, S.F. - 12/30/81
(Photo by Harald O.)

Anyway, 24 years down the road and I don't really care about all of this anymore... but click HERE for Umlaut's gratuitous Ozzy memories.

Crazy, but that's how it goes.. I'm eighteen and I like it..