Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Longest Day

Before I was a Music Geek, I was a History Geek... and it's already been well-documented in this space how Iron Maiden have always bridged those two sides of me. I dare you to name a more literate band. Dare. YOU.

Anyway, here's a screen shot from a bootleg DVD of Maiden's October 12, 2006 show at Nassau Coliseum in New York during the song 'The Longest Day':


'The Longest Day' is from Maiden's latest album. Extra credit if you can identify what's on the stage backdrop.... Okay, I know you probably went to public schools so I'll tell you: The backdrop images are the front pages of newspapers from June 1944 announcing the D-Day invasions at Normandy, France. D-Day. Operation Overlord. Omaha Beach. The Longest Day.

Yes, that's right, Saving Private Ryan.. Very good... now wipe that fucking smirk off your face before I slap you 'cause if it wasn't for that event we'd all be speaking German, wearing lederhosen, goose-stepping, listening to bad techno music, and watching soccer instead of the NFL!! Think about THAT!

[Note: Umlaut must apologize to his old friends Ginger and Todd for using Deutsch stereotypes in the heat of typing this...]

What's my point here? Dude, Iron Maiden used the front page headlines from June 1944 announcing D-Day as their stage backdrop during a song about D-Day! If you can't appreciate that then I believe Nickelback tickets just went on sale. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to listen to crap music.

No other band flies the flag for literacy like Iron Maiden, except for maybe BlöödHag. Maiden should be the house band for the History Channel. BTW, Maiden's latest album A Matter Of Life And Death is their best since 1985 IMO.

Ironically, Miatomic gave me a replica of The Clicker used by the 101st Airborne on D-Day for my birthday:

"This Clicker played an important part in the liberation of France in June 1944. It was issued to the 101st Airborne Div. for communication without arousing the Germans."

The history lesson? You DO NOT want to arouse Germans during combat!

Read Books. Listen to Iron Maiden.