Thursday, June 21, 2007

Blessed Black Wings

After waking up at 3:00AM PST on the East Coast, flying 3,000 miles / 5+ hours, stopping at home only to change clothes, and then driving to the office to attempt as much of a work day as mentally possible, I then found myself in a local taqueria getting burritos for dinner. I happened to be wearing my High On Fire 'Blessed Black Wings' shirt, with the awesome winged demon on the front and the quote "The Blood I Bleed Is Black Indeed" on the back.

After placing my order, I sat at a table near the counter to wait for my food and noticed a sharp dressed gentlemen placing his order; he was oddly loud and self-righteous sounding. After barking his order and paying, he turned and we made eye contact; I swear his eyes narrowed a bit and he started walking towards me.

As the gentleman walked passed me I noticed he was singing. It took my jet lagged brain a second to realize that he was singing some Christian hymn that went something like "Great is The Lord, He is love..." or something like that. It took my jet lagged brain another second to realize that the sharp dressed man was singing the hymn in response to my shirt!!

He walked past me again acting as if he was simply getting napkins from the counter; he didn't look at me, but he was still muttering under his breath. My jet lagged brain was sort of fascinated to witness a cool band t-shirt having such a spiritual effect on someone.

I wish my brain hadn't been jet lagged so I could have responded in kind with some High On Fire lyrics like "Blasts uncover terrors that shouldn't be... Elder race lives... Arkham.." However, my order was soon called and I was outta there and on my way home after a long ass fucking day.

As I type this, I can't remember the last time I've been publicly challenged by a Christian mano y mano in public like that. Fascinating.

Me go sleep now.