Thursday, August 09, 2007

Revisionist History

On May 1, 1993 at Ft. Mason in San Francisco, Fugazi played one of the worst shows I've ever attended.

May Day 1993 Ticket (From the Umlaut Archives)

This is how I reported it in Umlaut #8:

FUGAZI - Pier 3, S.F. - May Day
D.I.Y. is fine 'n dandy, but when the P.A. sounds like an AM radio, and the venue is a cavernous warehouse, and the atmosphere is zero because the lights are kept on the entire show, and there is NO ALCOHOL (Fuck Straight Edge!), I'll take Corporate Rock any day, thank you very much! On the way back to the car some pimply-faced teenagers called us fags. I gave 'em baths and combed their hair. Still, it was only $5.


For the newbies, Fugazi only played venues that allowed them to charge $5 (FIVE DOLLARS) for tickets, which was incredible *in theory* but the reality of economics meant that sometimes the infrastructure for these shows was substandard.. I know, I know.. Punk Rock D.I.Y. yada yada yada.. but given Fugazi's stature their performances deserved better. I mean, I'm sure people would have paid $10 so the band could play through a legitimate P.A. etc. etc. etc. I know, I know... Punk Rock blah blah blah.

Anyway, here in the 21st Century and 14 years later, I was given the opportunity to relive the May Day 1993 show via the wonder of a professional example of "archival audio"... and my mind is reeling from the dichotomy of my sober memories of the night ('cause it was NO ALCOHOL) and the "archival audio" reality of the band's performance that night.

Holy Fuck. Fugazi were absolutely FEROCIOUS that night! From the set opening 'Turnover' they blazed for 90 minutes.. and it's amazing how this fury was diluted by the shitty P.A. and venue. I'm now thoroughly glad that I was at Ft. Mason on May Day 1993; THANKS to the Archival Audio Godz for the blessing.

Anyway, I don't know what the point of this post is... but I guess sometimes it's cool to use a "time machine" and go back in time to discover that a moment in your life was better than you remember it being. Time Travel Rules! Discuss amongst yourselves.

"Song Number One is not a Fuck You Song..."