Friday, July 25, 2008

25 Years Ago Today

"Bass solo, Take One.."

Twenty-five years ago on this date, Metallica released their debut album Kill 'Em All on indie label Megaforce Records.

Umlaut's original copy of Kill 'Em All

It is not an understatement when I say that this album changed my life. However, it didn't change my life in the traditional way an album would: via the music... What changed my life was the lead up to the album's release.. Long story short: Circumstances and events led me to meet this band when they were still pimply-faced teenagers with only a demo cassette to their credit. They ended up being the first band I ever befriended... and fast forward a year or so and Kill 'Em All was the first album I was ever thanked on:


Trivia Question: How many readers of this space are also thanked in the above credits?

I hadn't planned on commemorating this day in history... but I suppose I'm obligated to say something since this platter was such an important part of my Salad Days.

Truth be told, 25 years later and I can't listen to this album all the way through... I've heard the songs so many times that I'm beyond overload on them... and 'Jump In The Fire' seems silly to me now. However, it does still trip me out to hear 'Seek And Destroy' on FM Rock Radio here in the 21st Century.. Bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not in the mood to write anything more about this... So, here's to 25 years gone... holding on. This post is dedicated to all my old friends from July 25, 1983; many of them read this space. Hope we die before we get old! Also, a shout out to the old friends from those innocent times who are no longer with us.

"Time! Has taken it's toll on you... the lines that crack your face..."