Friday, June 15, 2007

I May Not Even Make You Feel Alive

The exciting sequel to TWIMG: The Fratellis:

The Fratellis
The Fillmore, San Francisco
June 14, 2007

Historically, Umlaut has become obsessed with bands from the British Isles since the dawn of his Music Geekdom. I could write volumes about why I think that is, but I won't right now. At this point in time, it's that fag Scottish band The Fratellis.

Initially, the Scottish lads were only going to make their Bay Area debut as the opening act for The Pigs at their ridiculously expensive Oakland Stadium show.. but the Rock Godz work in mysterious ways, and the Scots added this headline show a mere 19 days in advance.

Within minutes of entering the venue we ran into The Sheriff, who I can always count on to be into the same fag Britpoppy bands as me. Dog bless The Sheriff 'cause it's cool to have a kindred Music Geek soul brutha. Thanks, dude! Fuck fictional heroes from comics, television, and movies: The Sheriff is a real life super hero and I'm honored to know him.

It's always cool seeing a new band play the historic Fillmore for the first time; sometimes I forget about all the history in that room 'cause I've been seeing gigs there for 20 years now (Doh!).. I can only imagine what it's like for a band from the other side of the globe to be standing on that hallowed stage after only hearing about it all their lives... and also selling the place out. Chills, dude...

For the first time in ages, Skychick attended a gig with Umlaut. The look of joy on her face as The Fratellis kicked into 'For The Girl' will be one of the highlights of my year for sure. It was only appropriate that I was seeing my latest Britpoppy obsession with the person who enabled me to be able to call London my spiritual 2nd home after years of only dreaming about it.

Music Geek observation: During 'Chelsea Dagger' Jon strapped on a Les Paul (as opposed to his usual Telecaster) before he started the wall of feedback that served as the song's intro... and the axe gave the song a great, chunkier sound. Song of the evening for sure, like, totally... It will also be one of my favorite live experiences of 2007 as well. Pogo A-Go-Go! Fookin' gleat, dontcha know.

If you bought one of every Fratellis merch item you would have paid... NOTHING; there was no merch for sale!! Signs were posted on the merch booth apologizing for the inconvenience... WTF?? It sure was embarrassing for whoever The Fratellis' merch company happens to be.... whoever that is... On the way back to the car, some pimply-faced teenagers called us fags. I must say that seeing The Fratellis was exactly what I needed to help overcome the jagged theme that's been in my life recently... Next year (or even a month from now) I'll be "on about" another band from across The Pond, but at this moment in time The Fratellis are what I'm "mad about".

Last week Umlaut friend Dema told me:

"Mercury is retrograde causing much jaggedness for the next month. This too shall pass.... "

After this gig, I think she spoke the truth. Music: Is there anything it can't do?